Saturday, October 10, 2009

This Morning's Breakfast


I'm sure some people find it annoying, but I love the world we live in, bringing with it the ability to share almost instantly with friends (the real ones, not the ones you put in quotes) the joyous and intimate moments of our lives. My friend Bob has been moved to send pictures of a couple of recent breakfasts he's enjoyed at home, the first an apple cake with ice cream and then, just this morning, eggs Benedict.

I've written about my passion for eggs generally, and the poached in particular, so I nearly leaped to the stove to cook up a couple for myself. A slice of toast, some leftover purple beans from last week's shopping at Viridian Farms, and breakfast was made. And e-mailed to Bob for his approval, of course.

Beans, Bacon and Sage

8 slices bacon, cut in 1/4" strips
2 yellow onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 lbs. fresh shell beans
10-15 fresh sage leaves
Water

Heat large pot or Dutch oven and cook bacon until fat is rendered but not crisp. Add onion and garlic and sauté till tender. Add beans, sage and enough water to barely cover. Bring to a boil and simmer until beans are tender, 40 min. to 1 hr.

This is great for eating right away, but really shines the next day (or longer).

No comments: