Monday, November 12, 2007

Overlooked Opportunity

You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but once again I'm left feeling sheepish and entirely remiss in the performance of my duties. The Queen of Cheese and I were casting about for a nice spot to meet for lunch in the neighborhood, and she suggested trying a little place on Broadway she'd read about in the paper called Costello's Travel Caffé.

Now, I've driven past this place several times a week for several years and almost don't see it anymore. I'd assumed it was one of those internet cafés where you grab a cup of mediocre coffee at the bar and then wait to use one of the computers lined up along the wall. And I'm here to tell you I couldn't have been more wrong.

What I found walking in the door was a cozy place not unlike a British pub, with dark wood tables and chairs ranged around a good-size room, local denizens busy over their laptops, chatting and noshing over cups of coffee or lunch. Costello's serves a nice array of pastries, with quiches and other breakfast entrees in the morning, then soups and panini sandwiches starting around noon. Wine and beer, as well as desserts, are available, and later in the evening they add appetizers to the sandwich menu.

Everything is very reasonably priced and the quality is quite good. I just can't believe it took me this long to find the place!

Details: Costello's Travel Caffe, 2222 NE Broadway. Phone 503-287-0270.

No comments: