Tuesday, June 07, 2011

Simply Seasonal Pasta


You all know how much I love pea shoots, and contributor Jim Dixon of RealGoodFood has my full attention with this simple pasta dish.

I’d planned to make pasta with sugar snap peas and mint this weekend, but I didn’t get to the farmers market and there were no peas at the store. I did see a nice bundle of pea shoots, so I made this instead.

Pasta with Pea Shoots, Mint and Shiitakes

Chop a shallot, leek, and some garlic and cook them in extra virgin olive oil for a few minutes. Trim the stems from some shiitakes (they’re tough and don’t really get tender), then slice the caps into quarter inch strips. Add them to the pan. Slice a bundle of pea shoots into roughly 2 inch pieces; add to the mushrooms. Tear the leaves from 7 to 8 stalks of mint; add. Cook for about 5 minutes, toss with just-cooked pasta (and a bit of the pasta water) and serve with grated Parmigiano.

No comments: