Monday, November 30, 2009

Habitual Behavior


Hello. My name is Kathleen, and I've got a mushroom problem.

There, I've said it and it's out in the open. Ever since Roger Konka and Norma Kraven of Springwater Farm started selling bags of mixed mushrooms at their market stalls, I've been hooked. Sure, at first the $5 bag (note the drug reference here) was enough, but soon my cravings increased and I bumped up to the $10 bags. And, like good suppliers, they were happy to feed my need.

I found myself supplementing their product with stuff I scavenged myself, the pure golden product known as Cantharellus cibarius or "Northwest Gold." And I was slipping them into everything from tuna casserole to cream soup, hoping that my family wouldn't notice the frequency of their appearance.

But of course they did. They took me aside and gently, kindly yet firmly told me they loved me but that the fungus obviously had a grip on me. I begged for one more dish, a farewell salute to my mushroom habit (recipe below), and they agreed.

Little do they know I've got plenty more stashed in the freezer to pull out when the craving hits again.

Mushroom Risotto with Truffle Shavings

1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 med. onion, chopped fine
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb. assorted wild mushrooms or crimini mushrooms, sliced*
6 c. chicken stock
1/2 c. dry white wine
2 c. arborio rice
1/2 c. parmesan, grated fine, plus more for sprinkling
Salt and pepper, to taste
Black truffle for shaving

Heat oil in deep skillet or saucepan. Sauté onion and garlic until translucent. Add mushrooms and sauté briefly. Add wine and stock and bring to simmer over medium heat. Add rice and bring back to simmer, stirring frequently to avoid sticking, until most of liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender but wet. Stir in cheese and season with salt and pepper. Serve, grating truffle on top.

* With wild mushrooms, I tend to chop the larger, more solid ones and slice or tear the lighter-weight mushrooms so the dish has a variation of textures and shapes.

2 comments:

EcoGrrl said...

YUM! I'm on it! PS I love mixing in mascarpone (from the market as well) into my risotto..mmm...

Kathleen Bauer said...

You can never go wrong with mascarpone. Works in polenta, too!