Sunday, October 05, 2008

Love Those Lamburgers


The first time I had a burger made with lamb, prepared by my brother, a 'cue-meister of the first degree, it was like I'd been living in a forest and had never noticed the trees. If I was Homer Simpson, I would have slapped my forehead and said, "D'oh!" A light went on, I woke as if from a dream...use whatever hokey phrase you want, but I couldn't believe I'd never had one before.

Step 1: Form 1/4 of burger mix into two patties and top one with cheese.

What really got me was how simple they were to make. All it takes is ground lamb, some chopped garlic and herbs and, to take it to the level of celestial, all that's required is a slice of cheese inserted in the center. Throw them on the grill and you've got one of the most flavorful, delicious sandwiches the world has ever seen.

Step 2: Slap "blank" patty on top and seal edges, then get 'em on the grill!

Oh, and it also helps to have small ciabatta rolls (way better than hamburger buns) crisped on the grill, fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes and our favorite Kosher dills from Bubbies. It's dinner in your hand!

GoodStuffNW Lamburgers

Makes 4 burgers

2 lbs. ground lamb
1/2 c. pitted, chopped, oil-cured black olives
2 tsp. oregano
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 c. bread crumbs or crushed water crackers
4 slices cheese (feta or cheddar work fabulously)
4 ciabatta rolls, halved lengthwise
Fixin's

Mix lamb, olives, oregano, olive oil and bread crumbs in mixing bowl till well-combined (mixing with your hands works best). Separate into fourths, then take each portion and form into two thin patties. Lay cheese slice in middle of one patty, slap the other patty on top and seal the edges. Repeat for other three patties.

Grill over hot coals, turning once, for four minutes on each side. Brown rolls on grill, insert burgers and apply whatever fixin's you prefer.

7 comments:

Randall David Tipton said...

What a great idea! The one thing I dislike about lamb is all the connective tissue. Burgers are the solution.

Kathleen Bauer said...

Also why braising works so well on lamb. Let me know what you think!

Anonymous said...

Your lamb burgers look deeelicious! I would like a big blop of tzatziki on mine. Coincidentally I posted a ground lamb recipe today too. Gosh, its so good. I'm going to try your burgers with cheese inside. How about in a pita pocket? Yum.

Kathleen Bauer said...

Tzatziki...brilliant! Though I'm not so sure about the pita pockets. These babies are juuuuuuuicy, which is why the ciabatta rolls work so well. But if you try it, let me know!

Anonymous said...

You were right....pita bread is bad. Way too messy. The ciabatta soaks up all the yummy juices.

bb said...

Glad to have inspired, and way to riff. That's why ground meat is so fun..burgers, meatloaf, etc. ...is it's so open to creativity. I haven't made them in a long time, so now you've inspired me!!

Kathleen Bauer said...

It's all about the sharing, isn't it? And Cathy, definitely try the ciabattas...great!