Friday, October 19, 2007

Corny Classic

It must be this drastic change in the weather, but I've put away my Keens sandals and I'm wearing my fleece vest at the computer these days. Anything braised sounds like it would hit the spot, and soups are ringing my chimes in a big way.

So when Kim-of-the-incredible-garden was divesting herself of corn toward the end of the season, I brought home a half-dozen ears, stripped them of their golden kernels and froze them for future use. Which came in handy when I was casting about for something for dinner last night and opened the freezer door to find them staring at me like, "Well, it's about time!"

And since a good chowder is simple and ever-so-quick to pull together, it was the perfect (and soul-satisfying) solution to that night's quandary.

Simple Corn Chowder

3-4 sliced bacon, cut cross-wise into 1/4" strips
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 onion, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 potatoes, chopped into 1/2" dice
2-3 c. fresh or frozen corn kernels
3-4 c. milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Sauté bacon in large soup pot till fat has rendered but bacon hasn't become too crisp. Pour off about half the fat and add the butter or margarine. When butter or margarine has melted, sauté onion and garlic till translucent, then add potatoes and sauté till potatoes are nearly tender. Add corn and stir to bring up to temperature, then pour in milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Bring to simmer and cook until potatoes are completely tender and flavors have melded together. Adjust seasoning and serve.

2 comments:

Karl Kesel said...

Cool weather turns my mind to chowder (and soups in general), too. Thankfully, your recipe includes that most delicious of all ingredients-- bacon-- and my only suggestion to really push it over the top would be to add a seared sea scallop to each bowl, then ladle the corn chowder around it. The scallop's sweetness perfectly compliments the corn's, while at the same time its subtle brininess contrasts nicely. In my opinion.

Kathleen Bauer said...

Yes, the holy pig comes through again to add just that little touch of smoke. And the sea scallop suggestion is totally, "Whoa!" You are amazing.