Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Market Watch: A Door Closes, a Window Opens


We've all heard about the turmoil in the print industry lately, with budgets being slashed and papers shutting down. Our own Oregonian is reining in budgets but, knock on wood, is still on the stands. With downsizing come budget cuts, and I've just been told that FoodDay is reluctantly having to cancel my Market Watch column for this season.

Instead, staff writer Grant Butler is going to do a regular feature about interesting produce at the market, with a focus on what's in season and how to prepare it. And you'll still be able to read about the markets right here on GoodStuffNW, with a survey of the farmers and bounty that make our corner of the universe such a wonderful place to live.

With that in mind, I'm interested in hearing from you about your local markets and what's kicking your "on button" as the season progresses. Shoot me an e-mail if you'd like to be a contributor (from anywhere in the Northwest)!

2 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

Don't let the bastards grind you in! You are such a talented writer. I'm sure that great opportunities lie ahead.

Kathleen Bauer said...

Thanks for the support, Mary. Though I have to object to the use of the word "bastards." Martha Holmberg at FoodDay, bless her heart, gave a completely untested writer, me, my first real job as a writer when she asked me to be their Market Watch correspondent two years ago. From there she gave me nothing but encouragement and a chance to write about great people who are doing great things in our community. Look for my article in the current issue of MIX magazine on local microroasters, as well as upcoming pieces on home vegetable gardeners, women brewers and farmers' market managers. I'm so lucky, and it's all good!