Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Homely Virtue


homely (hōm-lē) adj.; date: 14th C; 1) suggestive or characteristic of a home; 2) being something familiar with which one is at home; 3) a: unaffectedly natural, simple; b: not elaborate or complex

It's like my keys, or my reading glasses or the cup of coffee I just poured. I look all over the house, tearing things apart and blaming everyone but myself for misplacing them. Then I go back to where I started and there they are, sitting innocently in plain sight.

Oatmeal is like that for me. There's always a bag of it in the pantry in case a fruit crisp is called for, but I rarely think of making a bowl of this hearty, stick-to-your-ribs grain for breakfast. It's quick, it's versatile, you can make it sweet (my preference) or savory. You can stir in diced fruit while it's cooking or chop some as a topping. Add cinnamon or nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice and fancy it up. Or just boil some water, toss it in and in five minutes it's done. How obvious is that?

Oatmeal

Serves one

1 c. water
Pinch of salt
2/3 c. old-fashioned rolled oats

Boil water and salt in small saucepan. Sprinkle in oatmeal and reduce to low simmer. When water is absorbed (about 5-10 min.) it's done. Serve with any variety of flavorings like brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, currants, etc. Be creative!

2 comments:

Cathy said...

A tasty, stick to your ribs breakfast on ANOTHER snowy morning. Will this ever stop!

Hope you have a very merry Christmas and a healthy and properous New Year.

Kathleen Bauer said...

Hearty is the watchword around here, Cathy! Wishing you a most merry holiday, as well.