Friday, April 11, 2008

I Love the Java Jive

But whether it loves me, well, that's hard to say. I don't even need the caffeine, really, just the smell, the warmth, that slightly bitter flavor. Ahhhhhhhhh. In the days before Portland's streets ran beige with lattes, the decaf cafe au laits at Victoria's Nephew, home of Portland's first espresso machine, got me through my pregnancy.

Now we're awash in pretty dang good coffee, all told, and our micro-roasters are getting some serious traction. I ran across Jeremy and Andrea of Cellar Door Coffee last year at the Montavilla Farmers' Market, where I tasted some of their very fine organic, fair-trade coffee and bought my first bag of their beans.

Andrea sent an e-mail last week letting me know they've just opened a cafe and retail outlet on SE 11th south of Hawthorne in a cute old building that's been crying out for creative ownership. Jeremy's minding the store, brewing coffee and serving tasty pastries, soup and quiche to customers while Andrea roasts the coffee in five-pound batches at their roastery.

When I stopped in, Jeremy was oohing and ahhing over a sample of Guatemalan beans that a friend had just brought back from a trip there, so he brewed it up and he, Irv (neighborhood raconteur and sign-guy) and I had an impromptu tasting.

It's just that kind of place. So stop by sometime, say hi and ask him about his recent trip to Mexico City to visit his wife's relatives. And don't forget to have some of his coffee. You might just get jiving yourself.

Details: Cellar Door Coffee, 2001 SE 11th Ave. between Hawthorne and Division. Phone 503-775-3503.

2 comments:

sue said...

Hi,
I was just browsing the web, when I came across your ref to Victoria's Nephew. My brother used to own that cafe. Sure wish that we had taken notice of the trend for coffee...we could have been the earlier version of Starbucks!!

Kathleen Bauer said...

Some are doomed to be ahead of their time, I guess. But thank heavens Victoria's Nephew was there for me! BTW, whose coffee did your brother use?