Monday, February 11, 2008

Country Cat Makes Breakfast

I've decided that the Country Cat is one of my favorite new spots in Portland. Well-designed but unpretentious, I have yet to order something from their menu that isn't downright terrific. I'd been there for lunch and dinner, so when Dave suggested going out for breakfast on Saturday morning this place immediately came to mind.

Now, I'm not a big fan of breakfast as a meal. My idea of a perfect way to start the day is coffee (lots of it) and a nice pastry, preferably of the French variety, or a simple piece of toast and jam. Pancakes, waffles and three-egg omelets are very nice, thank you, but I end up feeling drugged for the rest of the day.

So when we walked in I was all geared for something simple, but then I saw a Bloody Mary float by looking oh-so-delicious. And when the menu came, what did I see but a hash of home fries and house-smoked meat on a bed of chard topped with two poached eggs. Needless to say, I was a goner.

As you can tell from the photo, I was well into my plate before I remembered to take a picture, it was that good. All I can say is, if you're looking for a perfect spot to have breakfast on a weekend morning, this is one of my top recommendations. And don't forget to get some of their house-smoked beef jerky for the ride home. Incredible!

Details: The Country Cat Dinnerhouse and Bar, 7937 SE Stark St. Phone 408-1414. Breakfast 9 am-2 pm Sat.-Sun.

No comments: