Friday, March 09, 2012

How to Shuck an Oyster



If you love our Northwest oysters as much as I do, then there's a good chance you'll be shucking oysters at some point. But if you're a novice like me, you'll want to avoid the mistake I made of shoving the oyster knife into your palm in front of your guests.

So when I had the chance to interview Lissa James, co-owner with her brother Adam of Hama Hama Oyster Company on Washington's Puget Sounds, I asked if I could film her technique for shucking oysters and she graciously obliged.

(And sorry about the focus, but you'll get the idea…)

2 comments:

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

Thanks for that; I love oysters and have always wondered how to DIY them. Now I want some...

Monsieur Fixit said...

Careful shucking oysters in your hands neophytes; oysters shells are razor sharp and if the knife don't get you, the shell most certainly will.

Put the 'ster between a folded dishcloth on a cutting board and hold it tightly, cup side down in place while inserting the oyster knife into the bi-valve's hinge.. twist, crack and cut; forget the Phily flop; you've done enough work aready...

BTW there are numerous ways to shuck monsieur huitre, I've seen an oysterman go in through the front lip at the Wallapa Bay co-op in Oysterville. Some shuckers use an anvil-like form to provide leverage when cracking the delicacy open at Boston's Union Oyster House. In a pinch I've seen a can opener pry a few Blue Points open on a Hamptons beach deck. And a homemade broken jack-knife blade wielded by a local popped dozens of Señor Ostras from the Samana pennisula on a Dominican beach.

Go slow, use measured force and you'll save the band-aids for another day...

Kathleen gave wife Mags some chili sauce the other day; Elixers 1 and 2. #1 is fair Piquante hot sauce, but the #2 Bottle -- NW Elixers Verde Hott Vert Piquante whe coupled with either lemon or lime and drizzled over a fresh oyster is my newest craze having replaced a squirt of Sriracha sauce. You must have the citrus to get the entire sensation.

Best oysters in Oregon are from Oregon; get 'em at the Gilson Marine Farms stand at the Hollywood Market.