Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Smokin' Pot, Part Deux

Casseroles were a staple of my childhood. Tuna, mac'n'cheese, "goulash" (i.e. hamburger, noodles, tomato sauce and spices). Our family of five had them regularly, and I still crave a good tuna noodle casserole every once in awhile, although these days we've switched from Campbell's to a dairy-free Portobello Mushroom soup that comes in a box, and use albacore tuna instead of chunk lite.

What I've been lacking is a proper casserole dish, one that'll hold a pound of pasta and sauce and brown it nicely on top. Until last week, that is, when a little blue Le Creuset 2 3/4 Qt Oval French Oven showed up on our doorstep. Dave had spotted it on Amazon for the ridiculously low price of $39.95 (I kid you not!) and ordered it immediately, thinking it would be perfect for his no-knead bread.

Already we've had a couple of delicious meals from it, and I'm hoping we might smell fresh-baked bread emanating from the oven soon. Can't wait!

6 comments:

christa said...

how'd you get that sucker for $39.95, you lucky bastards? it's listed as $79.95 right now. hrmph! :)

Kathleen Bauer said...

Like I said, just lucky...right time, right website!

Anonymous said...

Wanderings through lesser-known thrift stores also yields Le Creuset.... My Dave's acquired a skillet and a lovely "precision pour sauce pan" with lid for less than $30 total in the last month.

Kathleen Bauer said...

Great call! I hear thrift stores are also the place to pick up deals on cast iron pans. Does anyone else have used deals they've found?

Loo said...

Just catching up on the blog after a week of my sister visiting, and I feel compelled to say that I secretly love tuna noodle casserole, and can only imagine the kab version! delish for sure!

thanks for keeping us up-to-date!

Also there is a No-knead Bread 2.0 out there that I will try and report on soon . . .

Kathleen Bauer said...

Oh, please, do share! I'd love to post your recipe and tips, etc., here!