Saturday, March 21, 2009

First Picks of the Season


It was early on a Saturday morning. Sitting at the kitchen counter, drinking my coffee and reading the paper, the idea of getting dressed, much less heading out into the cold morning, was distinctly unappealing.

For the optimists, bedding plants galore.

But once I got there and saw the gathering of tents, the first of the morning's shoppers with their bags starting to bulge with purchases and then got wind of the smoke from Tastebud's wood oven, I knew it had been worth coming. There's something about the first markets of the season that draw me, whether it's the promise of spring they bring or watching people's expressions on seeing the very first green things of the season piled high on vendors' tables.

No matter the weather, pasta is always appropriate.

I'd heard there might be protests over the banning of dogs at the markets on the Park Blocks, but no sign-wielding, poop bag-hurling dog owners were in sight. Maybe because no one could be cranky as the sun broke through the clouds and bathed the stalls in its early morning light.

Eventually my bag filled with arugula, nettles (see accompanying post) and paté, along with Fressen's dense, nutty rye bread and the Happy Chickens ladies' fresh eggs. What can I say? With all this goodness available, why would anyone stay home?

Details: Portland Farmers' Market at PSU. Sat., 8:30 am-2 pm. At Portland State University in the South Park Blocks between SW Harrison & Montgomery.

2 comments:

Kiezie said...

I am so ready for full market season!! And you got a picture of my favorite pasta and Sarah-Beth!! I love her pasta, my favorites are the sage and spinach!

Kathleen Bauer said...

I'm with you there, ChefBliss! And I can't wait for the newest market in our neighborhood, the King Farmers' Market at NE 7th & Wygant (opening on May 3). Exciting!