Tuesday, May 06, 2008

In Season: Collard Tops!


One thing I love about farmers' markets is the opportunity for discovery they provide. At every stand I'm peering at this or poking at that, pointing at some vegetable I'm not familiar with and asking about it. In today's Market Watch column I wrote that I visited the People's Farmers' Market in SE Portland and came across big tubs of odd green and yellow flowering stalks at the Osmogaia stand. After ascertaining from its single-monikered owner, Curly, that these were collard and kale tops (left and right, respectively), I bought some of each and brought them home to experiment with.

They have a flavor reminiscent of green beans or fresh asparagus and have a satisfying crunch, as well as a very unique visual texture. Now, having had them in mixed green salads and thrown into stir-fries as well as chopped and sautéed on pastas, I'm going to be looking for these intriguing greens again. Who knew?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I came across these today at the Ballard Farmer's Market and sauteed them up with some garlic, oil, S & P and a bit of soy sauce. They were delicious. The stems were edible as well and one thing I loved was that they didn't wilt down too much. I'll definitely be getting these next time.